Mentor, Mentoring, Mentorship
A mentor is a person with experience and a trusted advisor, they will remember what it was
like just starting out in the field.
The knowledge, advice, and resources a mentor shares depend on the format and goals of a specific
mentoring relationship. A mentor may share with a mentee (or protege) information about his or her
own career path, as well as provide guidance, motivation, emotional support, and role modeling.
- Willingness to share skills, knowledge, and experience.
- Knows and accept the mentee current skills and where they are in their development.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and acts as a positive role model.
- Takes a personal interest in the individual and the relationship.
- Enthusiastic approach to the job or task.
- Provides guidance and ongoing constructive feedback.
- Respected by co-workers at all levels of the organization.
- Establishes and meets personal and professional goals.
- Looks for ways to have ongoing learning and development.
- Listens to ideas, opinions and enforces others to show and take initiative.
- Motivate by setting a good example.
A mentor will act as a trusted confidant to their mentee over a flexible period of time. If you are thinking of finding a mentor, you should be clear about what you can and cannot expect from them.
Your mentor will:
- Offer an outside perspective on both you and your business
- Listen, confidentially, to the things that are worrying you about your business
- Help you by sharing their own experience of both failure and success
- Give friendly, unbiased support
- Provide honest and constructive feedback
- Be a sounding board for ideas
- Help you with your decision making by suggesting alternatives based on personal experience
- Provide contacts and networks to further your personal and business development
- Provide ongoing support and encouragement
Your mentor will not:
- Provide a counseling service
- Give specific technical business advice, which would normally be provided by an expert business
- Provide a training service
- Provide a coaching service (relating to specific business-related tasks, goals, and objectives)
- Take responsibility for the success of your business away from you, the business owner